Face Plant

I watch an almost two yr. old two days a week. She's cute. Used to resemble Gollum when she was younger, but time has been kind. She has hair now and the gangly limbs and hunched walk have faded. And I still have yet to hear her say 'my precious'...

At the park today she was on the regular old swings, no straps or restraining devices. Loves it! Sings and laughs and blinks her big eyes in the sunshine that flashes though the trees. We've done this time and again on the big girl swings. And always I say 'hold on tight' and she squeezes her little hands so the fingertips go white.

Today in her joy she decides to point out the other open swing next to her. Not quite up on the one handed swinging yet, she underdogs herself and face plants in the pebbles. She sat up quite stunned and dusty and looked at me with loaded eyes and then started to wail.

Of course I was racing to her ( all of what? three feet?) and thinking 'why on earth did she let go?'. Hugs later and with tears dried I was glad she was fine and she did the bravest thing. She grabbed my hand and dragged me to the swings and made me put her back on and give her a BIG push (she loves the little bit of air she can catch in a big push, the early signs of an adrenaline junkie).

Inspired to let go, maybe fly and maybe fall, to get up and try all over again for a bit of air I might catch. All by a two years old. Amazing.

No comments: