Message from a bottle


On the lake shore, this small brown bottle was discovered. Empty.
By all appearances useless, except as trash. If you uncapped it, there was a strong smell of a dangerous substance lingering in a glassy tomb.
For all intents and purposes it seemed to be yelling to be filled.
Filled with sand, or water and light or air, but filled.

What is the point of a vessel if not to carry something?

And this bottle now rests on my shelf. A stark reminder that I must be filled too (or rinsed and aired out) to rid myself of the dangerous stench of a deadly substance. Sin reaches my insides and I must have it all cleaned out so that I don't reek. (Does anyone else get the mental pictures of washing out the stalls at the zoo here?)

And wonder of wonders is that I can be filled. And not with just anything like sand or air, but by the most fragrant and amazing scent in existence.
The form of Christ Himself.

What is the point of me if not to carry Christ?

"He who descended is also the One who ascended far above the heavens, so that He might fill all things' - Ephesians 4:10
(emphasis mine)

1 comment:

holamickey said...

Is the facet that is filling me only on a drip! Maybe I need to open my mouth more. Nice posts.