Elephant Rocks - lots of rocks, not one elephant

I knew I lived in a beautiful country. That knowledge was reinforced with a short trip into the hills behind Oamaru. With my housemate’s grandson in tow, I headed up to Elephant Rocks. These crookedly shaped rocks are limestone and have been eroded over time with the wind and rain.


These may look familiar to some of you who have seen the recent movie “The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe” as the battle scene was filmed here. Yep. I live 30 minutes from the battleground and the place where they shot Aslan’s camp. Very cool!



My tour guide, Shula, did an awesome job of getting us there and giving me a very detailed insight into everything we saw on the way. He also made me look like a weenie when I wouldn’t climb on some of the big rocks. He got right up there, like a little mountain goat.


No comments: