The Fur Has It. Whatever "It" is...

Near Moeraki there is a rugged outpost that is inhabited by sunbathing fur seals. Some of them climb up the 30 foot cliffs onto the grass to sunbathe. Even seals like a soft place to tan their hides I suppose. Which reminds me...seals don't tan...

This time of year the babies are frolicking about. They are adorable and very timid of people. They scatter pretty quickly, so I was happy to get these shots.

Some of the big hefty seals were happily fouling up the air with their bad B.O. Who ever thought that an animal could smell so bad after swimming in the ocean all day!? This big guy was at the bottom of the cliffs and you could still smell his stink!

David suggested that I harvest some seal fur to stay warm here, but I had to decline. These little guys are just too cute to even think (well, OK, I thought about it a bit) about wearing them to stay warm.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

So cute! Great shots!

kejay said...

SO CUTE!!! You are incredibly blessed to be out there with these guys!