Jordan Day 13, June 24

5:30 was peaceful and still and quiet as Eva and I padded down to the gate and the guard let us in early. 5:58 found us as the first guests to enter Petra and we enjoyed a quiet hike down the Siq, past the Treasury and toward the tombs across from the Roman theater. We saw the Urn tomb, the Palace Monument and some others whose names escape me. We then traipsed across some hills to see some Byzantine/Nabbatean ruins of churches on the hills. Amazing mosaics inside the lowest of the three structures, blue marble columns from Egypt in the second structure and an eagle eye view from the top structure all lead to a majestic experience on a mountain top.

The Urn Tomb, thus named for an urn found on the top. Creative, no?

The Blue Marble Columns. They really are blue and they are in perfect condition as opposed to the sandstone that is being eroded away rapidly.
Mosaics in the aisles of a church, celebrating God's creative power.
We only had a short time at Petra today so we headed back to the hotel to shower and load onto the bus.

I could move to Petra in an instant. Not to marry a Bedouin (though I did buy the book 'Married to a Bedouin' which is great so far), nor would I be allowed to live alone there (women just don't do that here), so I guess being a tour guide is in my near future. I had best learn a couple more languages.

It's amazing to be standing on sand that has had so much happen on it before I had ever even heard of it. What a stunning (and very gritty) reminder of how small I truly am. This is my feet in the sands of Petra.

No comments: