Jordan Day 3, June 14

Our bus drivers got lost on the way to the site, so I got to see the not-so-thriving metropolis of Madaba this AM. Of course, at 4:30 nobody was awake, so it was a quiet trip. Amanda helped start the day with a bit of Tai Chi. I later learned that Amanda doesn't actually know Tai Chi. But she faked it well.





Young Hwa enjoyed the dawn (my Day 3) while wrapped in her kephia, a typical male headdress, and Dustin was taught by Aleph how to wrap his kephia. Dustin is the one in white, just in case you couldn't tell.

Scottie and I cleared about 80 goofahs (those handy rubber baskets) full of dirt today. My arms and back ache. But we found a butt! It’s the butt of an animal, a tail, and a broken off leg, hollow body, no head. Sad looking decapitated piece of pottery, but a nice find. Scottie was happy to make many butt jokes this evening once the piece was identified. Many big rocks were shifted today from ancient (well really old) wall collapses. Dustin has educated our field helpers in the art of grunting. Before hauling the rocks, they all now hit knuckles together, grunt and flex. It’s like watching cavemen.

Field C, the field next to us, found the head of a figurine. Very cool figure of a lady with long hair and a headdress. Apparently a very rare find of a Moabite goddess figurine. Our dig director has only ever seen one before, and that one was in a picture.

Falafel sandwiches for second breakfast, and melon. Lots of melon, which is wonderful to eat just as the heat is starting to build. And I still love falafel and hummus. This is the view from where we eat breakfast. Olive groves and houses.

At pottery washing the gang decided to sing show tunes. Stephanie, Shawn and Scottie enchanted us with everything from Phantom to Fiddler. They have an amazing repertoire. We should hire them out. They take requests, just not the request to shush.

And today another compliment “Yenniffer, you good woman.” And then “Yenniffer, you smart.” WOW! I think I have a following. And a proper gender assignment.

Tomorrow is Friday, which my muscles are glad for. And Sabbath will find us loaded on a bus headed north. I get to see the Sea of Galilee! And Jerash! Dinner is calling and then bed. I do miss my bed. This one is like a brick with some foam on top. And a thin layer of foam at that…

On to Day 4!

No comments: